CAPRICE ImpactReinforcing competitiveness
The project will contribute towards the creation of new products and applications for membrane companies, manufacturers and suppliers of solvents in the area of CO2 capture.
The project aims at a halving of the reduction in CO2 capture costs. An efficiency improvement of 50% over the start-of-the-art CCS technologies represents a reduction of additional fuel which carries an estimated value of 150 million Euro per year.
Development of CCS technologies will ensure that jobs are maintained within the power plant supply sector. The new area of CCS would create additional jobs in the area of separation and purification technologies.
Enhancing International cooperation
The project contributes significantly to the widening of the European Research Area on sustainable energy systems by the scientific cooperation, exchange and benchmarking of research results with third countries such as Brazil, Canada, Russia and China.
Development of CCS technologies will contribute significantly to the improvement of the quality of life for Europeans citizens, through the reductions of risk associated with climate change, but also by the concurrent reductions in other pollutants like SO2 and NO.
Innovation Related activities
The research activities will lead to innovations in CO2 capture. Also, the technology components developed in the project, such as membrane technology and solvent technology are innovative and will lead to spin-off in areas in the chemical process industry. It is expected that there will be early commercial opportunities in several areas.
CAPRICE will lead to a:
- strengthening of the position of post-combustion CO2 capture using solvent technologies
- increased know-how by the joint analysis of results and data from various pilot plants
- better basis for future designs of power plants
- better understanding of the capture process
- better understanding of the potential of membrane contactors
- more uniform basis by which to evaluate CO2 capture projects and CCS costs which is important for political decision-making
- global benchmark for post-combustion CO2 capture using solvent technologies